The International Society for Intellectual History (ISIH) invites proposals for papers and panels for their 2020 Conference, which will be held at the European University Institute in Florence on 27-29 May 2020. The theme will be “Change and Exchange”. Papers (20 mins, followed by 10 mins of discussion), relating to the theme of change and exchange in intellectual history at large, can concentrate on any period, region, tradition or discipline, including the arts, humanities and sciences, 1450 to present. As well as individual papers, we welcome proposals for panels of up to three papers and a commentator. The range of subjects of investigation is extremely broad, and may include, but is not limited to:
- thinking about change in intellectual history: epistemological breaks, paradigm change and intellectual traditions;
- interdisciplinarity in intellectual history
- debates on social, political, economic, scientific, technological, climate, etc. change;
- writing the history of change; changes of scale in historical understanding
- interactions between political, social, economic, technological, scientific and intellectual change;
- promoting and resisting change;
- informal and institutional exchanges between cultures and their role in bringing about change;
- sociability and intellectual, scientific, commercial, institutional etc. networks;
- the theory, practice, history and role of translation.
For further details, please see the conference webpage.
Proposals for papers and panels are due by 15 November 2019 and must be submitted through the Conference Submission Form.